The New America School-Phoenix seeks teachers philosophically aligned to the school’s vision and mission. NAS-Phoenix intends to enroll students that represent our increasingly global community. Therefore, we seek faculty and staff that represents and values cultural diversity. NAS-Phoenix is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition or privilege of employment. The New America School does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other status protected by state or local law.
Teachers at the New America School – Phoenix will possess the following attributes:
- Expert Content Knowledge: The NAS-Phoenix rigorous curriculum requires in faculty a comprehensive, deep understanding of content so that they can help students create connections across disciplines, relate new concepts and ideas to others, foster in-depth explorations of content through inquiry-based and project-based learning, and recognize how ideas and skills are transferrable to everyday life.
- Rich and Diverse Pedagogical Toolbox: NAS faculty will need to possess and apply a diverse set of research-based instructional strategies, including differentiated instruction, engaged learning/personalization, questioning strategies, standards-based curriculum development, critical thinking processes, use of data to inform instruction, interdisciplinary instruction, and technology supported instruction.
- Professional Training and Credentials: NAS faculty will meet Arizona certification requirements and the standard for Highly Qualified status. All faculty members will hold a degree from an accredited four-year college or university, and instructors with master’s degrees are strongly preferred. Faculty are expected to exemplify the value of higher education and will be encouraged to pursue advanced degrees through master’s or doctoral programs.
- High Expectations for Student Achievement: All NAS faculty and staff will support the core belief that all students are capable of making substantial academic progress and enrolling in college upon graduation without need for remediation. On a daily basis, faculty will communicate their expectations for student progress and provide detailed and specific verbal and written feedback regarding student progress.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- AZ state Teacher Certification (Certification in two or more to serve the school’s instructional design is preferred)
- Highly Qualified in content area(s)
- National Board Certification highly desirable
- Experience using data tracking tools and systems
- A special interest in helping to accomplish the school vision and mission as it relates to preparing traditionally underserved students for college and the world of work.
- At least three years classroom teaching experience
Personal Qualities Desired
- Engage adults and students in problem solving and other collaborative work
- Embrace diversity and works well with diverse groups of students and adults
- Welcome challenge with an entrepreneurial spirit
Interested teachers should mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter and statement of teaching philosophy
- Copy of current Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Names of three professional references
Download NAS-PHX Teacher Application