McKinney Vento Notice of Rights
Students experiencing homelessness have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently house or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is their preference and is feasible.
- If the school district believes that the school selected is not in his/her best interest, then the district must provide the student with a written explanation of its position and inform the student of his/her right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to the students’ needs.
The Homeless Bill of Rights can be found : http://nationalhomeless.org/campaigns/bill-of-right/.